Saturday, March 28

home in the 70's



Stone Mountain Park has the largest high-relief sculpture in the world, the Confederate Memorial Carving. The carving honors three Confederate heroes of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.


When I lived in Ga you could see this mountain from the parking lot of the Five and Dime store up the street . This view is the North side of the mountain, I could see the south side. When you live near a national monument you get used to it being there, I becomes "just anyole" in this case; mountain. It is actually the largest single outcropping of granite in the World, so of course the carving has to be monumental also. There are several other smaller outcroppings of granite in the area. Living near by gave me a chance to visit this place a lot. I was there in the mid 70's when the men with jackhammers carved out this Confederate Monument. Since I moved I have been to Stone Mountain State Park only once. When I saw the Rock again the hair on my neck was standing. Had a sort of "welcome home" feel, the kind that almost brings tears to your eyes. Isn't it amazing how much I miss a boulder?

No comments: