Wednesday, December 7

And then the road got bumpy...

I will admit, this is not the part of the Lawn Tech/sales and service job that I like... but it has to be done. Not talked about, and not on the Job Description list. Yes, I am talking winter shop work. Most years have been good to me, I am used to doing sales work in the winter, but small company, that position which can to done by one person is already filled. So... let me introduce you to my latest Night Mare... 
       It is now my sole task to change everyone of the 36 tines on this Split Drive Aerator. The tines, the metal tubes that pull plugs of soil are beat and after 10 years need to be changed. Now, this may seem like an easy, mindless exercise in busy work to some,  but in the 2 full days I have been laboring upon this task have only gotten 12 of them done. This machine, is not built to be "user friendly". It is not rocket science, but to one that does not work on machines; it is to say the least, a challenge. Just remove the old and replace with the new? Nothing cushy about this, just a cold concrete floor to sit on, using tools for jobs they were not intended for (beating and prying and moving metal; as a person in my past would have said "You wanna trade jobs with me? You wanna do my job? 
       Its a good thing this is all that needs done this year, after this... phone work, calling my customers, now that sets just fine with me :) 

2 comments:

Tempo said...

I sometimes work on farm machinery, recently I had to do the tines on an air seeder.. four days of cutting bolts and drilling them out. Oxy cutting rivets and dodging Red Back spiders dropping down as they felt the heat. I know just what you were going through...poor bugger!

Windsmoke. said...

Everybody's got a pet hate about one part of their job this is yours its better than no job at all :-).