Monday, February 22

Ticking away...





 The time grows near, in 25 hours I will be reporting for work again. With snow still on the ground and the 1st of March fast on the way... I remember this time of year being crazy in the other companies I did time with. Lots of customers, lots of trucks lots of employees all running around trying to get those last minute details done, and then heading out to treat your first day of properties and the boss tells ya, "If it takes ya till dark: 30, we need those numbers". Then first few weeks, you run run run getting your "accelerated" production done. It all seemed to be a money thing. The excuse "its too wet to get the spreader on the yard" no, you need to find another excuse, we are after all talking about the True Greens aka the Chemlawns named Davie and Scott. Out the door as soon as the weather breaks, February 15 or there abouts. True Green is real bad about early starts, I have seen them out even now, with the snow covered hills. One thing I know from experience and common sense, a customer does not want their snow to be fertilized. Yea I realize, its a timing/calendar set program, but really guys; with snow still on the ground? I remember back in '07, late snow fall, ground was covered for over a week. 9 days lost; we just buck up and get more done when we could, and it wasn't all that bad. Got caught up and on with the show we went.

The big companies are... well, too big. Once you reach a point that the service is no longer service but just money in your pocket; there is definitely something wrong. This is a SERVICE industry, once the service is gone; you have nothing to work for. Not so much a plug, (if you live in cincinnati, have a lawn and desire a nice lawn, please call me) I will say the company I work for is small enough for the personal touch, and still provide top notch service.

No its not really a snappy name, and no we don't have a big glitzy banner but what we do offer is service, with a smile (you get to see me) and experienced techs that know what is going on with your turf needs. I don't own the company, I don't get kick back for more accounts (well in the long run it will provide a raise) but I do know to put my stamp on a lawn means there will be results, and I will work with you to the best of my ability to achieve those results. Actually I find it is the customer that provides my paycheck, not Turfman, who signs my check.

I will say I don't know everything, I learn with my experience, and still pick up new information; when it comes to lawncare I do know that service is everything. Not only do I need to know turf, disease, insects and a slew of other things; I need to have rapport with customers. There is more to my job than just knowing the facts. Several hats are worn on this job; sales, service and maintenance. I do change hats quite often.

So here goes... looking forward to another great year of lawn care.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: