Sunday, September 9

Well the tickets were only $22...

"All ready to go?"  Was a big plan, from Cincinnati to Dayton, quick 45 minute drive, to see Ronnie James Dio... why does that name sound like an assassin? So 1st wife and I very young; have it all planned out. Drive to Dayton, get a hotel, drinks dinner and end the evening with a rock concert. Of course we end up running late, check in the hotel get our stuff in the room and the show was already started, Ronnie James Dio doing the Holy Diver tour, backed up by Twisted Sister, not really my kind of musical taste, but then I was young and dumb. As I said we were running late, show up at the Hera Arena with tickets in hand. The place was packed... you could imagine the 'caliber' of the crowd. General admission, meant get there and grab a seat, this was pre-Cincinnati Who... so we get to the show just as Twisted Sister is leaving the stage. No real big deal, think they did one song I liked and I can't think of what it was.  The short pause to switch bands and Ronnie is up on stage... I do need to mention my first wife Debbie, had claustrophobia; she could not handle large crowds... So Ronnie does his big hit as an opening number Rainbow in the Dark... yup you guessed it, Debbie is having one of her "attacks" and well, we had to leave.  Was for the most part a good show; as I don't care for "Heavy Metal" but I did like the one tune I got to see Ronnie do. As I think back about it all I can really remember is black leather... the band, both of them and the crowd, lots of black leather. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.